The COMMITTED-X Program is a linkage to care program that helps navigate clients to needed care and treatment services. The program goals are to increase early access to HIV care and other support services and decrease HIV viral burden for people living HIV (PLWH) in Area 2A so they have better health outcomes and be more productive community members by 1) addressing barriers preventing access to care and link new and reengaged PLWH to HIV care and other support services; 2) providing adherence counseling/support to ensure those PLWH are retained in care and adherent to their antiretroviral medications; and 3) strengthening and expanding current partnerships with new and current partner providers.
The FULLY COMMITTED-X has been an integral part between our HIV Prevention/Testing to Treatment and Care services to other support services. It is vital for PLWH to get early access to care and treatment services and avoid interruption of those life-saving services in order to remain virally suppressed and thus maintaining quality of life and preventing HIV transmission to others in the community. The Linkage Coordinator of the program has played critical role by working collaboratively with Prevention Specialists and Case Managers, as well as other partner providers to ensure all PLWH receive early treatment/care and other support services they needed, remain or retain in those services, and finally achieve optimal outcome of viral load suppression status. Moreover, immense attention is provided to newly diagnosed HIV clients and re-engaged clients who have dropped out of care through the implementation of the four key strategies (Positive Education, Positive Referral, Positive Connection, and Positive Adherence) and the following key activities:
- Identifying and addressing barriers preventing access to care and using evidence based intervention to help link new and reengaged PLWH to HIV care and other support services.
- Providing adherence counseling/support to ensure those PLWH clients are retained in care and adherent to their antiretroviral medications.
- Strengthen and expand a network of local community partners to refer newly HIV-diagnosed positive people for HIV services from and/or through BASIC.
- Provide presentations/education about the linkage and adherence support services through the proposed program, as well as other services offered by/through BASIC and the process for referring clients.
- Provide adherence counseling/support through virtual or face-to-face meeting and/or text message (e.g., SMS, email, or voice) and during support group meetings to all newly diagnosed HIV positive clients and reengaged clients to ensure they attend medical appointments within 30 days after meeting with linkage staff.
- Coordinate with Case Managers to navigate PLWH clients to receive required HIV prevention and care services as well as other support services from other partner providers.
- Consistently monitor and routinely assess treatment adherence and monitor viral suppression.
Identify those having challenges in maintaining adherence requirements and provide them extra attention and support as much as possible.